Patient Access Representative
Company: Renown Health
Posted on: October 13, 2019
This position is responsible to perform all registration,
scheduling, order entry and reception functions and may float to
various admitting site within the health system.
This position expedites and provides healthcare access through the
accurate gathering of demographic, sponsorship or guardian data,
insurance, clinical, financial, and statistical information from a
variety of sources, i.e. patients, patients families, physicians,
physician office staff, county and/or governmental agencies, CMS,
This position ensures reimbursement for services rendered through
verification of insurance eligibility/benefits, obtaining insurance
authorization within required time frame, identification and
collection of patient financial obligation and accurate charge
order entry. Serves the patient and family in such a manner as to
make the admission process as comfortable and pleasant as
Nature and Scope:
The incumbent uses professionalism and diplomacy with interacting
with patients of all ages, their families, physicians, physician
office staff and other health care providers in the accurate
collecting of demographic, clinical, and financial information in
person or via telephone interviews.
Takes an active role in decreasing accounts receivables by
following established guidelines, regulations, policies and
procedures during the registration process in accurately:
- Obtaining and accurately entering demographic, clinical,
financial information into the computer system.
- Explaining and obtaining signatures on admission, clinical and
- Collecting accident information
- Identifying all insurance payer sources
- Identifying payer order sequence
- Verifying insurance eligibility
- Obtaining insurance notification
- Charge order entry processing
- Determining estimated cost for services being rendered
- Identifying and collecting patient financial obligation
amounts, i.e. co-payments, co-insurance, deductibles, etc.
- Documenting all information collected timely and in accordance
with department requirements.
Explores the financial need of the patient and when appropriate
refers the customer to the appropriate federal, state, or county
The incumbent is responsible for scheduling, order entry and
reception functions and assists in completion of departmental
This position has the authority to solve problems following
established company guidelines. Decisions that must be referred to
a supervisor are matters that involve problems which can develop
negatively towards the company, time off requests, sick time, work
schedules, interoffice problems, etc.
- Adopts a philosophy consistent with the Renown Health Values
and models them.
- Ability to be diplomatic and effectively communicate during
- Skills to anticipate customer needs, deal with the unexpected,
establish priorities, investigate and adjust performance style when
necessary. This includes the ability to deal with the sight of
various injuries, procedures and the stress associated with such an
- Working knowledge of health care insurance. The ability to
accurately document subscriber information, determine payer order
sequence and obtain notification as required by payer for services
- Must be able to ensure all matters related to patient
information are kept secured, meeting confidentiality compliance
standards set by The Joint Commission and HIPAA.
- Knowledge of governmental programs billing requirements.
- Ability to identify the patients financial obligation, i.e.
deductible, co-payment, co-insurance, etc. and follow standard
operating procedures regarding point of service collections.
- Skills to perform order entry.
- Above average computer application skills.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Scheduling skills adaptable to a fast pace environment with
heavy physician/physician office staff interaction.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to different Admitting
department locations. This includes the ability to
prioritize/multitask in a fast pace environment.
This position does not provide patient care.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be
construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills
and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is
intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and
level of the job.
Minimum Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or
Must have working-level knowledge of the English language,
including reading, writing and speaking English. High School
Diploma or GED preferred
Requires one year of admitting, medical claims processing,
professional office experience and/or customer service experience
with financial interaction. Experience with Windows Operating
systems, SMS Invision, Internet and SMS IMS Document Imaging is
Computer / Typing:
Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers
skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for
job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies,
complete online benefits enrollment, etc.
Keywords: Renown Health, Reno , Patient Access Representative, Other , Reno, Nevada
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!