Operations Supervisor (Full-Time) - Sparks, NV - Reddaway
Posted on: June 13, 2019
SHIFT: 2:00 PM - Midnight (Monday - Friday) JOB SUMMARY Supervise
and coordinate all activities of dockworkers, drivers and other
support personnel. Provide planning, direction and control of all
available resources for insuring timely, damage-free, safe
loading/unloading of freight on assigned shifts. Provide support
personnel, dockworker and driver training and performance feedback
including recommending discipline when necessary. Recommend or
carry out personnel actions including hiring, disciplining,
discharging, laying off, and recalling of employees. Cooperate with
Linehaul, OS&D, Billing and other departments as necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directly supervise all activities of dockworkers, drivers and
other support personnel engaged in loading and unloading trucks and
in moving and storing materials or products. Assign job tasks to
workers according to loading and unloading schedules. Verify
materials loaded or unloaded against work order or bill of lading.
Direct workers to move materials or products to storage areas or
- Directly supervise and observe loading of trucks to determine
conformance to loading patterns and to prevent shifting or damage
to materials or products during transit. Ensure that freight is
properly loaded on trucks so that they may be safely operated on
the road. Confirm that the freight load is balanced and placed,
distributed or secured in such a manner that the safe operation of
the truck will not be jeopardized.
- Coordinate work assignments, monitor performance and provide
training on job duties, company policies and procedure. Train new
employees in job duties. Develop improved performance of employees
through feedback and coaching. Draw conclusions from coaching and
analyze to determine if further action is necessary to facilitate
satisfactory production levels. Ensure effective performance
management of assigned employees while creating a teamwork
- Dispatch drivers for delivery and/or pickup of freight. Assign
motor vehicles and drivers. Compile list of available vehicles.
Assign vehicles according to factors, such as length and purpose of
trip, freight requirements, and preference of user. Issue keys,
record sheets, and credentials to drivers. Record time of
departure, destination, cargo, and expected time of return.
Investigate overdue vehicles. Establish service or delivery routes.
Direct activities of drivers, using appropriate communication
- Provide a clean, safe environment for all personnel and
visiting customers. Foster safe handling and storage of hazardous
materials as provided by the Department of Transportation.
- Ensure that all work is performed according to company approved
procedures, standards and specifications for dock and office
- Evaluate all aspects of employee performance and provide
coaching or discipline as needed.
- Performs duties of Terminal Support Assistant as needed.
- High school education or equivalent.
- Knowledge of proper freight handling/loading techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of
operations. Strong interpersonal skills to create conditions for
cooperation and high standards of performance from
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work long hours including weekends and in inclement
weather conditions. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in Transportation, Business or equivalent
- 1-2 years supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Previous experience with a LTL motor freight carrier with
knowledge of hazardous materials and applicable collective
- Familiarity with mainframe computers and/or PC applications.
Reddaway is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Minorities/Females/Persons with Disabilities/Protected
Keywords: Reddaway, Reno , Operations Supervisor (Full-Time) - Sparks, NV - Reddaway, Other , Reno, Nevada
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!