Job Title: HWY MAINTENANCE WORKER 2- DISTRICT 2
HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE WORKER 2 - null
Posting Close Date: 6/11/2021
CARSON CITY, NEVADA, US, 89701 FALLON, NEVADA, US, 89406
LOVELOCK, NEVADA, US, 89419 SPARKS, NEVADA, US, 89431
Requisition Id: 1234
Work Type: PERMANENT
Pay Grade: GRADE 26
Salary Range: $35,328.96 - $51,281.28
Fulltime/Parttime: Full Time
Recruiter: JANEL HOLLAWAY
Phone: 775 888-7911
Highway Maintenance Workers are certified by the Nevada
Department of Transportation (NDOT) to operate a variety of complex
or specialized highway maintenance and construction equipment in
order to restore and maintain the integrity of roadway surfaces;
maintain roadside slopes, shoulders, culverts and ditches to
restore drainage and prevent erosion; and repair or replace related
roadway appurtenances such as guardrails, markers, guide posts and
Incumbents possess a degree of knowledge and proficiency
sufficient to perform work independently with little or no
This recruitment will be used to fill future vacancies as they
occur with District II, within the next six months. Incumbent is
responsible for performing routine maintenance duties, including
keeping pavement surface, shoulders, clear zones, and associated
roadways in good repair; summer betterment projects, and assistance
in emergency operations. The hours for these positions are subject
to change depending on the needs of the appointing authority and
may be five 8-hour shifts and four 10-hour shifts. These positions
may require working in inclement weather. This is the continuing
trainee level, and incumbents may progress to the next level after
one year of being certified as a fully trained operator of complex
or specialized highway maintenance and construction equipment as
designed by NDOT, satisfactory performance, and with approval of
the appointing authority. Copy and paste https://youtu.be/V9QL_LHwY0c
into the navigation bar of your browser for an inside look at
NDOT's maintenance crews.
To see full Class Specifications
One year of experience performing basic highway maintenance
work; OR one year of experience as a Highway Maintenance Worker I
in Nevada State service.
- Pursuant to NRS 284.4066, positions in this series have been
identified as affecting public safety. Persons offered employment
in these positions must submit to a pre-employment screening for
controlled substances. In addition, federal law requires random
testing for controlled substances during employment.
- A valid driver's license is required at the time of appointment
and as a condition of continuing employment.
- A valid Class A or B commercial driver's license is required
within six months of employment.
- This position may require working alternate shifts and outside
of traditional business hours. The hours for this position are
subject to change depending on the needs of the appointing
authority and may be five 8-hour shifts or four 10-hour
- This position requires an applicant be at least 18 years of age
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of herbicide/insecticide application
procedures and equipment.
- General knowledge of repairing highway roadbed, surface,
shoulders, drainage facilities, and fixtures.
- General knowledge of materials, methods, and equipment used in
routine highway maintenance activities.
- General knowledge of traffic control and routing through
highway maintenance and construction zones.
- General knowledge of proper drainage and erosion control
- General knowledge of snow removal and anti-icing techniques,
materials and equipment.
- General knowledge of pruning and watering techniques for
- General knowledge of traffic paints and beads and
retroreflectivity qualities of these systems.
- General knowledge of dust control techniques.
- General knowledge of endangered species habitats, protection
techniques and safe removal of non-native species.
- General knowledge of environmental regulations that control the
method of work at job sites.
- General knowledge of incident command system and operational
controls used during emergency operations.
- Ability to safely operate and maintain a variety of hand and
power tools associated with routine highway maintenance tasks.
- Ability to read and understand the Maintenance Management
- Ability in all knowledge, skills and abilities required at the
This recruitment may close at any time based on the number of
applications received. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply
as soon as possible.
The State of Nevada is committed to Equal Employment
Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its employees and
does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin,
religion or belief, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, pregnancy, domestic partnership,
genetic information (GINA), or compensation and/or wages.