Staff Attorney - Reno
Company: Nevada Legal Services
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Nevada Legal Services (NLS) strengthens communities across
Nevada by ensuring fairness and providing equal access to justice.
We are a non-profit legal aid organization providing free legal
services to low income people in every county in Nevada. Our
primary source of funding is through a grant from the federal Legal
Nevada Legal Services has a staff attorney opening in our Reno
office. The staff attorney will provide full-scope legal
representation in a variety of cases in our core services including
representing tenants in eviction cases, assisting with removing
barriers to housing and employment, assistance with the denial or
termination of public benefits, and counseling clients on a variety
of legal matters. Legal issues the attorney may face can change
depending on the needs of our client communities. The staff
attorney will also be responsible for conducting and planning
outreach on a variety of topics, visiting with clients across
northern Nevada, and will require travel to our rural communities.
Overnight stays may be required.
* Represent clients before administrative agencies and in courts
across Nevada with a variety of legal issues including eviction
defense, subsidized housing terminations, unemployment benefit
denials, SNAP, TANF and Medicaid denials and terminations, criminal
and eviction record sealing, and other matters.
* Provide counsel and advice on a variety of topics and assist our
pro bono programs providing services in other areas of law.
* Conduct outreach and educational seminars relevant to our client
communities and develop appropriate relationships with service
providers and community partners.
* Travel across northern Nevada to appear in court, meet with
clients or conduct community outreach and education. Overnight
stays may be required.
* Participate in strategy discussions, collaborate with team
members, assist other advocates, and help establish new and
relevant programs to assist our clients and client communities.
* Follow all requirements of the personnel and case management
manuals regarding timely completion of timesheets, mileage
reimbursements, and other administratively required documents as
well as maintaining cases in accordance with our case handling
Compensation and Benefits:
* Paid sick and vacation time
* Paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance
* Full-time (34 hours per week)
Nevada Legal Services (NLS) is committed to a policy of
equal opportunity and fosters an environment free of barriers and
discriminatory practices. NLS actively promotes mutual respect,
acceptance, teamwork and productivity. NLS is committed to
maintaining an organization whose staff, Board and clients are
diverse in background, experience, race, color, national origin,
gender, age, religious reference, marital status, sexual
orientation, sensory, mental or physical abilities, veteran status,
and other qualities that strengthen the program while reinforcing
its commitment to basic fairness. People of color, people who
identify as transgender, lesbian, gay, or bisexual, and those with
disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals needing
a reasonable accommodation for the application, interview process
or for more information about the program may send a request to the
email address provided.
- Applicants should be licensed to practice in Nevada or in
another state and eligible for admission pursuant to Supreme Court
Rule 49.1. Recent graduates will be considered but continued
employment will be contingent on passing the bar examination.
- J.D. from ABA accredited law school.
- Applicants must have an interest and passion for helping
low-income Nevadans, demonstrate cultural sensitively and have an
ability to work with diverse cultures.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work
collaboratively with a diverse team.
- Excellent communication skills and experience addressing a
variety of audiences.
- Ability to work independently, handle changes or unexpected
events, and establish cordial working relationships with court and
administrative personnel, coworkers, service providers, and
- Excellent oral and written advocacy, analytical and
- Capability to work with low-income clients from diverse
backgrounds, including clients with physical and mental
disabilities and clients with limited English proficiency.
Keywords: Nevada Legal Services, Reno , Staff Attorney - Reno, Other , Reno, Nevada
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!