Company: Washoe Tribe of Nevada & California
Posted on: November 19, 2021
Under direct supervision, the Dental Hygienist is responsible
for performing advanced prophylactic and preventative dental
procedures in the treatment of patients at the health center
including those with related medical and dental problems, such as
diabetes, cardiac complications, severe caries, and periodontal
disease. Maintains confidentiality of all privileged
- Graduation from an accredited dental hygiene program in the
United States and two years work experience as a dental hygienist;
or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have current CPR certification.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California or Nevada driver's
license or capable of obtaining one within thirty-days (30) of
- Must be able to be insurable by the Tribe's Driving Policy.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol
screen and background investigation.
- Preference will be given to Qualified Native American
Indians.Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs oral prophylactic and dental hygiene treatment to
patients presenting a variety of abnormal conditions.
- Administers local anesthesia (if qualified) under the close
supervision of the dentist.
- Performs additional procedures such as: taking dental
radiographs, records medical and dental histories, reviews
patient's dietary habits, administers caries prevention agents,
desensitizes root surfaces, root planning, places temporary
restorations, necessary coronal polishing, takes and pour
impressions for study casts, removes sutures, and instructs the
patients in home care therapy and proper diet as it relates to oral
- Participates in the development and implementation of Oral
Health Education and disease prevention activities (community
health) including Periodontal Disease, BBTD and Sealants
- Plans, coordinates, and conducts preventive oral health
programs for various patient groups such as diabetic, cancer,
psychiatric, geriatric, alcoholic and physically handicapped
- Develops and revises oral health instructional materials and
education techniques for varied levels of the mental and physical
capabilities of each patient group.
- Uses resources available within the clinic and materials
acquired from research, professional dental associations, and
schools of dental hygiene, develops and presents oral health
lectures, demonstrations, and visual displays to patient groups and
- Develops procedural instructions to be used by dental
hygienist, dental assistants, dietitians, nutritionists, and the
nursing staff in the delivery of oral health care to patients
throughout the clinic.
- Performs other duties as required.Knowledge, Abilities, Skills,
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and
- Knowledge of business English, proper spelling, grammar,
punctuation, and basic arithmetic.
- Knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of dental
- Knowledge of dental terminology and dental science.
- Knowledge of theories, methods and procedures for the
prevention of dental diseases and the required corrective
- Knowledge of methods and materials used in a dental health
education program. Knowledge of community relations.
- Knowledge of techniques of motivation and communication.
- Knowledge of principles, methods and materials used in dental
- Knowledge of principles of program development and evaluation.
- Ability to give group and individual instruction in dental
- Ability to plan and conduct in-service training programs and
dental disease prevention programs in various settings.
- Ability to develop material for dental health education.
- Ability to evaluate effectiveness of dental health programs.
- Ability to establish and maintain good relations with lay and
professional personnel, such as nurses, teachers and school
- Ability to deal courteously, effectively and tactfully with
- Ability to clean and examine teeth and apply knowledge of
dental hygiene in instruction of dental patients.
- Ability to use dental equipment and instruments in examining
and cleaning teeth.
- Ability to assist in instruction of skills to staff and
- Ability to conduct classroom curricular activities.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language both
verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships
with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and
with co-workers at all levels.
- Ability to represent the organization in a professional manner,
building respect and confidence.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in verbal or
- Skill in operating business computers and office machines,
including in a Windows environment, specifically Word, Excel,
Access, and presentation software (such as PowerPoint).Physical
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly
is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach
with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is
required to walk. The employee occasionally is required to operate
a motor vehicle; stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The
employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.Work
- Work is generally performed in an office setting with a
moderate noise level.
- Conditions of Employment:
- Paid HolidaysPlease note:Hiring preference is provided to
members of the Washoe Tribe of Nevada and California followed by
members of other federally recognized tribes. Must pass and comply
with the PL101.630-Indian Child Protection and Family Violence
Protection Act. Washoe Tribe of Nevada and California requires any
designated candidate to complete a pre-employment drug/alcohol
screening, must possess a valid NV or CA. driver license within
thirty (30) days of employment, (when applicable) and PL 101-630
Criminal / Character Investigation background check.MedicalNevada &
California- Federal Employee Benefits Program (FEHB) provides
employees with numerous medical plan options to best fit each
employee's specific medical needs, residence service area, and
budget. The employee's also have the options for Transamerica
Supplemental Insurance by payroll deductions.Dental & LifeNevada &
California- Guardian PPO $1500 Annual Maximum Benefit, Dental Guard
Preferred, Calendar Year deductible $50.00. Included with Guardian
the Tribe offers a $50,000 Basic Term Life for employee only
coverage.VisionNevada & California- VSP Wellness eye exam $10.00
copay, prescription glasses $25.00 co-pay, standard lenses covered
allowance $130.00 every 2 years, and contacts in lieu of glasses.13
Paid Holidays Per Year!New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Day,
President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Indian
Day, Nevada Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after
Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and one Floating Holiday.
Keywords: Washoe Tribe of Nevada & California, Reno , Dental Hygienist, Healthcare , Gardnerville, Nevada
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!