Posted on: September 12, 2018
The award-winning Reno Gazette Journal is seeking a dynamic and transformational leader to serve as its next executive editor. The successful candidate will be a seasoned news executive who can articulate a strategic vision for the future of the RGJ while setting and executing coverage priorities. This person will have the skills to both raise the quality level of the journalism and increase the new organization's digital audience. The right candidate will have a proven track record of high-impact investigative editing and innovation in storytelling across multiple platforms.
We are looking for someone with expertise in multiple areas of coverage, as well as emerging media, mobile, social media and video strategy, and use of data to drive engagement and traffic. Applicants should have a clear understanding of how to target specific audiences and how to effectively engage readers in the digital space and in person. The right candidate will have the experience and ability to assess structure, personnel and technological needs, and to make necessary changes. The editor will collaborate across the USA TODAY Network, which encompasses USA TODAY and 109 local news brands.
The right candidate will work in one of Gannett's top-producing mid-sized newsrooms, known for punching above our weight and valuing investigative and watchdog journalism. There's a deep pool of experienced editors and reporters to learn from, and the newsroom nurtures a culture of cooperation and support.
The job also means living in Reno, Nevada, which is one of the top destinations for outdoor recreation, with Lake Tahoe, dozens of ski resorts, bike trails, rock climbing, hiking, hunting and fishing just minutes away.
- Uphold the highest journalism standards across digital and print platforms, strongly support the First Amendment and conceive, pursue and execute watchdog reporting.
- Provide exemplary leadership and execute the strategic vision.
- Develop and implement a multi-platform digital vision for mobile, social and video, focused on achieving target audience specific goals and objectives.
- Increase journalistic quality and storytelling across all areas of coverage.
- Lead the planning and oversee execution of content strategies with a keen eye focused on growth audiences. Creativity and an ability to develop and execute innovative approaches are essential.
- Excellent personal leadership, change management and ability to collaborate and influence cross-functionally-can conduct a dialogue that is intellectually honest, brings out diversity of ideas and creates the appropriate integration/connectivity.
- Strong communicator of the company's strategic initiatives, purpose, vision, culture and plan.Qualifications:
- Minimum 10 years of experience as a respected journalism leader, with emphasis on digital content and storytelling platforms.
- Experience in high-level decision-making with complex, impactful or sensitive news content.
- A history of successful leadership, innovation and goal achievement.
- Demonstrated change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively.
- Personal charisma, comfortable with public speaking and a commitment to staff interaction.
- Understanding of the changing media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.
- Strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
- Ability to effectively manage and coordinate in an environment of accountability.
- Track record in recruiting a highly successful leadership team.#contentGannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Keywords: Gannett, Reno , Executive Editor, Advertising , Reno, Nevada
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!